pregnancy guide → pregnancy
Charlotte and Sonya both provide full maternity care from first contact to 6 weeks postnatal. We each provide care for between 4 and 6 families per month.
At our visits we will collect and share information with you and organise any necessary scans* and blood tests. These may include maternal serum screening, nuchal translucency scan, anatony scan and pregnancy diabetes testing. We will discuss our schedule of visits with you and the normal checks that we do throughout your pregnancy.
During your pregnancy we will see you regularly and begin to formulate a care plan with you. This will help us to know what is important and best for you and your family during your pregnancy and birth. We will share knowledge, experience and expertise with you during our visits.
Services provided in the antenatal period include:
- Preconceptual advice
- Free pregnancy testing
- Family centred continuity of care (antenatal, labour & birth, postnatal care) by the same midwife and backup.
- Birth Centre or Hospital birth
- 24 hr urgent availability
- Antenatal care and assessments throughout your pregnancy with visits at home or at the midwife’s clinic. This includes arranging any necessary blood tests or investigative procedures.
- Breastfeeding advice and assistance
- Consultation with an obstetrician or other specialist if complications arise at any time during pregnancy, labour and birth or the weeks following.
Sonya and Charlotte are experienced in caring for women that have developed complications during their pregnancies or have existing medical conditions. We are able to provide the midwifery care for women who have experienced the following (though not limited to):
- Normal pregnancy and birth
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Multiple pregnancies
- Fertility issues
- High risk pregnancies
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Diabetes during pregnancy
- Raised blood pressure, or women who develop raised blood pressure in pregnancy, or those with a past history of raised pressure in pregnancy including pre-eclampsia.
- Poor previous obstetric history
- IVF pregnancies
This time of getting to know you and your family is very important in building the relationship between us, and research has shown that women who have continuity of care by the same caregivers throughout their antenatal period and labour and birth have better and more satisfying birth outcomes. Sonya and Charlotte are committed to providing continuity of care within our team. Our on call schedule ensures our availability for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week for consultation or birth that is never compromised.
* There will be a part charge of $35 per scan for up to three scans. If any other scans are required after this, then they will be free of charge.
All midwfery care is free for eligible women
You are eligible for publicly funded maternity care if you (or your partner) are:
- A New Zealand citizen (including Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau); or
- A New Zealand Permanent Resident who ordinarily resides in New Zealand with a Returning Resident Visa; or
- A New Zealand Permanent Resident with a Residence Permit, and have been living in New Zealand for two or more years.
To find out if you have permanent residency status, contact Immigration New Zealand.